Monday, July 19, 2010

Not as long, nor as interesting, as the Stephen King novel...I'm guessing.

Brewery: Tommyknocker Brewery and Pub
Location: Idaho Springs, CO
Beer: Imperial Nut Brown Ale
Type: It's an imperial nut brown ale. What do you want from me??
I like the word "imperial" in front of beers. It's usually a good sign it'll knock you flat on your ass if you aren't careful. Tommyknocker got my attention straight away with "imperial" in big, bold letters on its label and then they threw in the kicker..."Brewed with pure maple syrup!" WHAT?! Ok, my arm was easily twisted. As you would expect, this beer tumbled out a rich brown color, maybe mahogany? The head wasn't as dark as I had expected it and if you looked away quick enough the head would be up and gone before you realized. I didn't pick up any maple syrup in the bouquet but I did get a thick malt fragrance. More perplexing, I picked up hints of tarty fruit, almost smelled like an apple. This beer didn't really do a whole lot for me. The mouthfeel was crisp and light which is saying a lot for a 9.0% abv brew. But what threw me off was the complete lack of robust flavor. The tart smell transfers to a tart first taste with maple BARELY creeping in on the back end. I was left with an incredibly boozy aftertaste which, in and of itself isn't terrible, it's just that I wanted more of that roasted malt and maple that I was promised! Had I not taken notes on this beer I would be hard pressed to give details about. Overall? Unpleasantly underwhelming.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing can compare to the disappointment you experience when you get let down by a beer.

    ReplyDelete