Thursday, August 12, 2010

It has stuff in it!

Brewery: Smuttynose Brewing Company
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Beer: Dry Hopped IPA
Huh? Dry hopped? What does that mean you ask? Well, it means it has bits floating around in it! Sweet, glorious bits of hops! The dry hopping process (adding hops straight into the fermenter after fermentation) enhances the hop aroma and flavor to the max. This IPA comes out with a splash of hazy, somewhat orange-yellow color and is capped off nicely with creamy, robust head that peaks nicely. You don't even have to get your nose close to the glass to catch the ever-so-lovely citrusy pine hops wafting up. I like to think that one day I will eventually educate myself enough to be able to ascertain the different nuances of the many types of hops...until then I will continue to drink beer in hopsignorance. The nicest thing about this beer is that its super smooth, even with such a strong bouquet. You don't even get attacked upfront with harsh hops, instead you get a mild yeasty flavor supplemented by grapefruit. The grapefruit will eventually intensify and leave you with a mouth watering for another drink. The sediment in the bottle may throw some people off but this IPA is totally worth a shot or 2. Plus, the dudes on the label look like they can throw down...and you wouldn't want to disappoint them by not drinking good beer, right?

2 comments:

  1. I aspire to be one of the guys on the label. I loved Smuttynose the very first time I tasted it. Good review...I give it 5 thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to the Smuttynose Brewery... My buddy Jon & I walked up to the tap and poured some beer... turned around and left. Its literally in a loading bay of a warehouse... GREAT BEER THOUGH!

    Note, I also went to the Red Hook Brewery that day as well. A bit more impressive of a facility.

    -Jarrod V.

    ReplyDelete