Saturday, April 9, 2011

Mind your kilt!

Brewery: Oskar Blues Brewery
Location: Longmont, CO
Name: Old Chub (I heard you snicker.)
Type: Scotch Ale
ABV: 8.0%
In the beginning, I was a true beer snob. Ok, not the beginning beginning, but the beer snobbery beginning. I shunned beers in a can and assumed them to be inferior. I was wrong. The first time I had Old Chub was at an awesome restaurant in Olde Town Portsmouth named Comfort (no longer there, but operating in Richmond) and I was smitten. Now, I put it to the test of a more mature, more discernible pallet. Right out of the gate you can imagine this beer is going to taste good. It has a nice mahogany color. Think coffee without the cream. The bouquet is ruthless in its layering! A surplus of sweet malt tangos passionately with dark fruits. Caramel swoops in for a brief "Hi" only to be cast aside by a faint, yet lingering, booze-y smell. The taste is as good as the smell. Caramel is more prominent but it knows when to bow out to the rich, dark fruit flavor. Malt is ever present and what a presence it is! It's as if "malt" could be an adjective for the mouthfeel. Smooth and velvety with the right amount of carbonation; the kind that you feel initially and then peaces the hell out so you can taste how great this beer is. The aftertaste is a pretty rad combination of bready, caramelly, kinda tarty, booze cocktail. Honestly, this beer is good. So good that it will knock the "I don't drink beer from a can" shit out of your system.
Why yes we Can!

5 comments:

  1. Yes we CAN!! HAHAHA I got that one!! You forgot to mention that the word "pusillanimous" is on the can. It's always nice to increase your vocabulary while setting sloshed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which reminds me, I must return to Comfort very very soon, it's been almost a year! Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in your face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's cool, John. I'll only take it as a personal attack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon would love this beer. Hilarious post, btw. Old chub :] lawl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want more! Oh and I think it was your birthday sometime recently or something so happy birthday, now feed me with beer knowledge!

    ReplyDelete