Wednesday, January 18, 2012

So fresh and so clean, clean.

Brewery: Great Divide Brewing Co.
Location: Denver, CO
Name: Fresh Hop
Type: Pale Ale
ABV: 6.1%
Sad news for good beer drinkers who live in the Tidewater area of Virginia...Great Divide beers are going to become nigh impossible to find. Something to do with local distributors no longer supplying the bodacious beers I have come to know and enjoy. That being said, this is the first of 3 beers from Great Divide that came from the brewery in Denver! A souvenir from my lovely fiance, Tessa. Fresh Hop looks like warm honey got into a cuddle fight with tea and a setting sun. I'm sorry for using the phrase "cuddle fight." If you've stopped reading already, I can't blame you. If you're soldering on, I love you. There's a generous and crisp white head that has staying power. I wanted to say this head has legs but when was the last time you saw a head with legs? As pleasant to the eyes this beer may be it delivers a heartwarming sensation through both of your nostrils. Even several feet away the scintillating notes of citrusy hops waft freely about. Getting in closer to it you will pick up a hint of floral grassy freshness that will make your mouth water. If it doesn't I'm not so sure we can be friends. There is also a ever-so-faint sweetness that lingers at the back of the bouquet. I've been to the promised land... This pale ale, SO CLEAN! It's not hyper aggressive like an imperial IPA. Oh no, friends. This freshly hopped pale ale is delectable. The hops of grass and citrus are up front and tease only slightly of pine. An undeniable sweetness is there but it is by no means cloying. Think of a lightly lemon zested graham cracker. The finish is light and airy with a hopped up flowery piquancy. That leggy head I was going on about? It gripped to the side of the glass as if it had the intention of bursting through it and living life as a sentient wad of foam. Sentient wad of foam was my wrestling nickname in high school, by the way. Before I go even further off the rails, as this beer has turned my brain into mush (the good kind)... YOU MUST FIND THIS AND CONSUME IT! Soak in its beauty! Drink. It. Up!




A hip hop ya don't stop. Seriously, don't stop these hops. If you do, I will cut you.

1 comment:

  1. No more GD in VA?? You should probably move to Colorado. ;) <3 Hannah and Scott

    ReplyDelete