Saturday, March 3, 2012

Behold! A great illusion!

Brewery: Sixpoint Brewery
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Name: Diesel
Type: Turns out it's a stout.
ABV: 6.3%
Well, I feel foolish. I thought this beer was a black ale through and through. And you can't really blame me when you stick your shnozz into this bouquet. But I'm getting ahead of myself here... This beer is a pure shade of black. "Diesel" is a fitting name because it's the same color of the tips of an exhaust stack on a big rig. And this thing rumbles like a big rig, too. It produces a massive khaki colored head that peaks and crags making it visually appealing. What's it smell like? Well, it smells like someone set a pine forest on fire. You get massive amounts of roasted malt in the nose and then like a subtle sledgehammer...PINE mothertrucker! The hops push a great amount of piney earth into your nasal pathway which balances the chocolate roasted malt perfectly. It's like someone dropped a hop nugget in my black-as-night, yet touched by dark chocolate pint of coffee. Again, I feel foolish for mistaking this as a black ale but it was an honest mistake. How do you feel about flavor? I'm a big fan of it, I like the way flavor tastes...for the most part. Diesel is pretty great. The heavy body and the slightest hint of carbonation make this a formidable opponent. It is super rich and dense in its earthiness. The roasted (hell, almost burnt) malt asserts itself front and center and bends only slightly to let some other flavors into the taste party. The hops aren't as pungent on the pallet as they are in the bouquet but they are definitely there and remind you that Diesel isn't a run of the mill stout. The aftertaste is exactly how you want it to be, bitter and sharp but not sour with a healthy dose of earth. I recommend drinking this beer in a glass. I had one before in a can and while tasty, it just did not have the same impact that this one did. Sixpoint pulled off something incredibly interesting here. I really like stouts. I really like hops. I really like hoppy stouts. I'm hopeful that you all can find this and experience it. I'm cautious with that, however. This won't make the stout purist happy nor will it melt the hop-head's face but it is a delightfully different take on an established style of beer.

My eyes say stout. My mouth says hops. My heart says MORE!

No comments:

Post a Comment