Wednesday, September 29, 2010

An Austrian powerhouse not named Schwarzenegger.

Brewery: Brauerei Hofstettena
Location: St. Martin, Austria
Named: Seit 1229 (At least that's what I think its name is)
Type: Barleywine
This was another Tessa special...she knows me well!! This majestic import flows freely in the form of a beautiful cascade of dark ruby and brown. Like most barelywines the head on 1229 peaked early with a slight off-white color. Hell of a bouquet on this one, folks! I caught the nose from about 6 feet away from this bad boy. BIG malt gets up in your nostrils and then dances with a mixed fruit potpourri consisting of apples and cherries. Past all that is a slight hint of alcohol, though the alcohol is not the main attraction. Seit 1229 comes in at a respectable 8.3% ABV. In spite of this alcohol content, 1229 is alive with carbonation as little bubbles of happiness leave a pleasant mouthfeel. What's it taste like? Right. Not surprising is the tart and tang of fruit that 1229 starts off with. Once the slightly sour taste fades toffee jumps in for a quick "Hello!" and then bows out gracefully for the strong coffee finish. It really is all like that. I was pleasantly surprised! I found this beer to be incredibly enjoyable. Even with my partial bias towards barleywines I would recommend this beer to just about anyone who falls into 1 of 2 categories; Category 1: They like a good beer and are looking for something new and exciting, or Category 2: A Europhile.

Sidenote: I couldn't find a picture of the label, so you get Johnny Questionmark up there. Also, I spelled Schwarzenegger correctly without the help of the internet, or a copy of Commando.

No comments:

Post a Comment