Tuesday, March 15, 2011

You got consonance in my beer!

 

Brewery: Victory Brewing Co.
Location: Downingtown, PA
Name: Prima Pils
Style: Pilsner
ABV: 5.3%
If only it were about 20 degrees warmer! This offering from Victory can be enjoyed year round but it just seems to me that if you're sweating then this beer will be doing wonders. Prima Pils is a color that most people would call "beer colored." To be fair, this beer is literally liquid sunshine; a nice translucent gold. There is a nice amount of a white, foamy head that does a pretty decent job lacing the glass as you work your way through it. I found the bouquet to be pretty enjoyable. Actually, let me clear something up real quick... This beer is awfully different from the beers I usually consume. I would dare say diametrically opposed! It had been a long time since I had a beer that was this light and I approached it with caution. So what about the nose? Right. There were scents of the bread and biscuit variety that had a surprising lemon zest accent. On the deeper draws you can pick up the smell of hops which would explain the lemon scent. I mean, the lemon scent isn't like furniture polish or bathroom cleaner so don't be put off. It's more of an earthy, "you won't mind consuming this" sort of smell. Ever been punched in the tongue by a beverage? Would you like to have your tongue punched by a beverage? I know, I know, rhetorical questions can be hard to deal with. Seriously, this pilsner is pretty awesome. You'll have the refreshing burst of carbonation right out of the gate that gives way to the biscuit we talked about earlier. The hops come through nicely with a wonderfully hidden malt flavor. Tangy yeast leaves you with a slightly bitter and mildly dry mouthfeel. Seriously, this beer is a great example of what a pilsner can (and should) taste like. Prima Pils would make an American "macro-brewery" beer fan's head explode!
Prima Donna? Nah... It can't sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment