Sunday, March 14, 2010

The first of many empty bottles...

Brewery: The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
Location: Farmville, NC
Beer: Milk Stout
Label: Simple. See left. It's either a duck or a rabbit. Possibly both?
This was the first milk stout I've ever had and I should say I was pleased with it. The fact that lactose, or milk sugar, is used during the brewing process leaves this stout being super creamy. I found the thin, creamy white head to dissipate quickly, however, it did leave some nice "rest rings" on the mug it quickly disappeared from. It's a rich, dark coffee color which does not leave much to be seen from the other side of the glass. Notes of coffee and faint smells of caramel are quick to pick up through the nose and carry over to the mouth nicely. The beer has a crisp, lightly carbonated mouthfeel to it, which is interesting considering the fact that it's a stout. The lactose takes the edge off of the bitter aftertaste some stouts leave behind which leaves a clean finish. Tessa had some nice words of it as well... "It doesn't have that gross stout taste I don't like!" My point being that this is a great entry-level stout that isn't really going to offend anyone. It's also a beer I would recommend to those who enjoy drinking stouts. It's not likely to get you wasted with one or two as it has a relatively low ABV, under 6%, but the taste is what will bring you back for more!

1 comment:

  1. I had never heard of a milk stout, but I want to try one now.

    ReplyDelete