Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I guess it rains down in Africa...

Brewery: East African Breweries
Location: Kenya, Africa
Beer: Lager (of the ultra pale variety)
Label: At first glimpse I thought it was a boar. Upon further review I noticed that the boar had a trunk...like an elephant. Even further review of the label revealed to me that the beer is named after the elephant that killed the founder of the brewery. Intense.
During a recent visit to The Shebeen, a South African restaurant in Charlottesville, VA, I came across the first beer from Africa I've ever seen. Curiously I ordered and waited with great intrigue. It came in a 12 ounce bottle and was poured into a drinking glass, not a pint glass or anything, a regular, old restaurant glass. The first thing most people will notice is that the beer pours a nice light piss color. I'm not exaggerating. I think Michelob Ultra is darker than this. It poured a thin head that came and went. Sort of looked like a more yellow version of seltzer water. And the similarities to seltzer water didn't stop there. There was hardly a taste to it...but it was crisp and refreshing! The high carbonation did good to perk up the tongue some. I can imagine that this would be the type of beer you would want to drink during the summer in Kenya. It has a low alcohol rating of 4.2% which is no surprise due in part to it barely tasting like beer. This super crisp, highly carbonated, faintly yeast smelling/tasting beer is great for those who are really into cold brewed American lagers...like Budweiser.

1 comment: