Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Iceburg right ahead!

Brewery: Clipper City Brewing Co.
Location: Baltimore, MD
Name: Winter Storm
Type: "Category 5" Ale...if you're curious, it's actually an Imperial ESB
ABV: 7.5%
Because of the name of this Clipper City offering I drank this during the Great Eastern Seaboard Blizzard of 2010 (my name due to its intense accuracy) as sort of an offering to Jack Frost himself. He supplied me with enough snow to prevent me from going to work and I was indebted to him. Winter Storm pours out a ruddy, ruby tinted brown liquid supplied with a massively rocky peaked head made of off-white foam. This storm had some legs as it gripped to the side of my glass leaving a supple amount of lacing as I drank. The nose is full of citrus hops, sour fruit, and some toffee. I was excited to see how the bouquet would translate to taste so without much hesitation I dove in. There wasn't a whole lot of crabonation going on, it seemed undercarbonated actually. First blush you get a malt flavor that hangs out if only for a moment so that a hint of caramel comes through. The back end of Winter Storm was kind of harsh in my opinion. There's a bitterness (as it's style would imply) that tops off hints of metal and earth. Had it not been for the massive head after the pour I would have thought this might have been slightly skunked. Again, I'm mildly disappointed by another Clipper City seasonal brew. So much so that it makes me weary of the 2 bombers I have in my fridge.
Peg legs may freeze before roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment