Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Royale with cheese? No...so much better.

Brewery: Williamsburg Alewerks
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Name: Cafe Royale
Type: Imperial Stout; Aged in bourbon barrels
ABV: 8.0%
This label has 2 of my favorite words on it: stout and bourbon. Before getting into this beer I had a strong feeling that this beer would be nothing short of sublime. My dad acquired this through a friend who actually helps out at the brewery. I am indebted to a prolonged period of gratitude for it! Cafe Royale poured our thick and malty. It's color is that of a strong black coffee topped off with a head of dark caramel. It was love at first sight. My response was Pavlovian...drooled quite heavily. The bouquet was phenomenal! If I had to make a new word to describe the nose it wold have to be "boozeilicious." You get big notes of bourbon straight away with coffee, chocolate, and brown sugar notes playing backup. This beer is to be appreciated at or slightly below room temperature. I know what some of you may be thinking but trust me. The flavor profile of this stout is so wonderful that if it were to be too cold you would lose out on most of the awesome flavors. Cafe Royale packs a punch! Low carbonation allows for you to focus most on what matters: flavor. You get whiskey immediately (yum!) that eventually melts into strong, full throttle coffee. Bittersweet chocolate and roasted malt bring up the rear. It's like a beer that tastes like Irish coffee. Bliss. Every drink of this beer was awesome and left me wanting more. If you're a whiskey fan you owe it to yourself to seek this out. If you're a stout fan you can not pass this up. Cafe Royale is everything a stout should be (to me): a vortex of liquid shadow, bold in its flavors, and so delicious you want to squeeze your glass to wring the very last drops of it out into your mouth.

I need a network of pipes run throughout my house so that I can have water fountains set up that dispense this!

3 comments:

  1. YOU DON'T HAVE BEER FOUNTAINS???? Psssh

    ReplyDelete
  2. This beer was sooooooooooooooooooogoooooooooooood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh god, it was delicious. Tessa doesn't even like stout!

    @Jarrod...is that how they do things in Chicago?

    ReplyDelete