Monday, October 11, 2010

To the victor goes the spoils.

Brewery: Victory Brewing Co.
Location: Downingtown, PA
Name: Festbier
Type: Oktoberfest Lager
Victory makes great beer. There. I said it. Festbier is no exception. This rich amber colored beer is probably one of my favorite Oktoberfest beers. It pours nice and smooth and is capped off with a fairly thick, creme colored head. A whiff of this makes me happy. Malt is ever so present as well as a mild hint of caramel and nuts. Add to that the smell of grains and it sounds like it could be an awesome bowl of cereal. Underneath all that is a faint hops smell. A nice amount of carbonation wakes the palate up. The mouthfeel is very light and that's not a bad thing. There is a mild maple flavor that comes through and a subtle amount of spice, almost like pepper and perhaps nutmeg. I also picked up on a bit of an earthy taste which was surprising and not at all off-putting. After taste is a nice balance of grain and toffee...makes for good burps. I'm sad that I was only able to get one bottle of Festbier this year. If you see it and are in the mood for a good example of an Oktoberfest/Marzen type beer then I recommend you celebrate with a Victory. I couldn't make it without a pun. Dammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment