Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Call me "El Hefe"weizen.

Brewery: Widmer Brothers Brewing Co.
Location: Portland, OR
Name: Hefeweizen
Type: American pale wheat ale
ABV: 4.90%
I know what you're thinking. This can't possibly be the same blog I read once and immediately forgot about only to stumble back around to it and find a review for a beer that isn't black as night or hopped through the roof. No, this can't be that site. I mean, this is a review for a hefeweizen...clearly something is amiss. If there's one thing I'm not it's ungrateful. The best part about having a gathering is seeing my friends. The second best part about having a gathering is the beer those friends bring. This is one of those beers. Thanks Brandon! In any case...on to the brew. At first glance I would say, without question, that this beer is both wheat based and unfiltered. It is as bright yellow as its label and just as hard to see through. The significant amount of haze kind of makes you think you're holding a sweltering Southern day in a glass. Sun bright with a cloud of pure white foam, this beer screams "YOU'REGOINGTOBEREFRESHED, DAMMIT!" The nose is ripe with yeasty bread and laced only with a hint of citrus. It's not incredibly pungent and that's OK. I'm not sure I'd want to have to deal with drinking liquid lemon meringue pie. The mouthfeel is incredibly light and leaves a pretty dry finish. But I'm getting ahead of myself. You do get a quick flash of lemon that seems to have been lightly dusted with sugar. It's not a sour beer and the faint hint of hops help balance out the tart. And I will take this moment to say that I did not add any fruit to this beer. Let that be a lesson to you. Ahem. Then comes the wheat. Super Wheat Man to the rescue with his amazing Bread Ray Vision (because it sort of sound like X-Ray Vision?)! It's not that bad though, honest. This is an incredibly clean and light beer. Super refreshing and incredibly drinkable. Is this a traditional, honest to gourd, hefeweizen? I don't think so. I would expect more of a banana note in the nose, perhaps some hints of clove and spice. Does that makes this a bad beer? Nope. It's a perfectly competent American wheat beer.

It got an extra half-mug for not giving me heartburn.

No comments:

Post a Comment