Monday, February 27, 2012

On golden pints.

Brewery: Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Location: Chico, CA
Name: Kellerweis
Type: Hefeweis
ABV: 4.8%





(I know it's called hefeweizen, I just wanted to play with words some! Chill out.) I think I might be turning a corner on the whole "I can't really drink wheat beers because they give me heartburn" thing. But I'm not ready to commit to that statement fully. What I have here is a fine hefeweizen from the folks at Sierra Nevada. Often stalwarts of quality and consistency, this beer is no different. If this beer took its name from a fable character it would be "Goldilocks." Hazy and warm in its golden glory, Kellerweis wears a clean white cap of foam proudly. The aromas this beer emits are both layered and mouth watering. While people often expect a heavy citrus punch straight away, what you get from Kellerweis is a bundle of clove and banana. The tart fragrance of yeast is unmistakable and does a wonderful job supporting the fresh citrus burst that pops up. Towards the end of the sniff I picked up on a bit of spice that rests nicely on a bed of bready notes. This all did a very good job in making my mouth water. The payoff? Pretty delicious. This beer has a medium body do it with a creamy mouthfeel that flaunts healthy carbonation. As a flavor delivery system I would say this is sufficient. The first flavors I run into are those bread notes and spices encountered in the bouquet. That lasts long enough to make the transition to the fruit/clove salad a bit more noticeable. Rich banana (but not cloying or artificial) mixes it up nicely with a touch of orange zest at its peak. This is far less citrusy than what my mind tells me how hefeweizens usually taste. The smooth body and creamy flavors make this incredibly easy to drink. The citrus is not the star of the show here, instead it's all about the wheat biscuit topped with banana and clove dusted with orange peel. As it warmed, the banana flavor asserted itself a little better which I found to be quite pleasant. I can't be too surprised. Sierra Nevada cranks out quality beer and this is no exception.

Try and steal my sunshine...see what happens. TRY!

2 comments:

  1. "While people often expect a heavy citrus punch straight away, what you get from Kellerweis is a bundle of clove and banana."

    I read this as "WHITE people often expect..." and it sort of works. I also love this beer, and I am a pretty enthusiastic wheat beer drinker (some may call it "beer bitch" or other less-than-savory monikers).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah I suppose it could've gone either way there. I've never really found a love for wheat beers though I do respect them. That being said, I was off IPAs for a while.

    I did enjoy this though. Plus, Sierra Nevada is pretty damn good at what they do...so that helps.

    ReplyDelete