Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Epic, adjective. Also "this beer."

Brewery: Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Location: Chico, CA
Name: Life and Limb 2
Type: American Strong Ale
ABV: 10.2%
I just want to say that the labeling for this beer is absolutely gorgeous. I couldn't imagine this label appearing on bottle smaller than a bomber. Plus, that just means I have so much more of this strong ale to indulge in. This is a super limited release from Sam Calagione (from Dogfish Head) and Ken Grossman (from Sierra Nevada) that is liquid celebration incarnate. The label reads full of praise for those who brew craft beer and for those who love craft beer. There's love for those who are home-brewers that aspire to make the big step and admiration for the families who love and support those involved in the craft brew world; creators and consumers. I had been hanging on to this beer for months and after some cajoling have decided to open it and savor every drop of it. Such a pretty bottle has no choice but to contain such a beautiful beer. While being opaque there is a visual richness to Life and Limb. A cola and mahogany infused liquid splashed nicely into my pint glass filling quickly and capping off with a thick and generous toasted almond colored head. This filled with me a great amount of joy and excitement. The fragrances this beer put off were astounding! I was expecting something great smelling but the aromas that wafted from my glass were beyond impressive. My mortal nose was able to pick out a healthy dose of maple (due in part to the use of maple syrup in the brewing process) mixed with strong notes of roasted malts that scream of coffee and a decadent toffee/caramel note throughout. A slight hint of alcohol reminds you that this will be a beer most impressive and not to be chugged with reckless abandon. No. You are commanded to savor this beer from the care put into it. The taste was intoxicating. Pun? Maybe. The mouthfeel was much lighter than I had anticipated. While not ultra-light it wasn't the syrupy, viscus feel I was expecting. A nice balance of crisp carbonation and medium body does this ale well. The conductor on the flavor train is sweet malt. The maple is very easy to notice that does well in ushering the complimentary flavors of roasted coffee, dark and rich caramel, slight hints of tarty fruits, and a slightly bitter and warming alcohol finish. Did I mention there was a ghost of bittersweet dark chocolate floating around? Hmm... Thinking back I should have bought two bottles of this. Like I said, I have been hanging on to this bottle since April or so and it would have been nice to have something to compare it against to see if the flavor profile had changed any. As I neared the end of Life and Limb I was legitimately sad. It is beers like this that fuel my passion for this particular potent potable. Being able to enjoy something so finely crafted with an incredible amount of care helps further solidify the fact that I belong in this industry in some way, shape, or form. If you, yes you, ever have the opportunity to drink (or even smell) this incredible strong ale, it would behoove you to do so. I realize that this may read like a romance novel (shut up, Fabio said he couldn't make the photo shoot) but this beer really is that good. It's easy to get caught up in the exclusivity of drinking a limited release beer so I implore you, the next time you drink your favorite craft brew silently thank its creator. And vocally celebrate your good taste.
A pun would not do this beer justice. Revel in this masterpiece.

1 comment:

  1. Is it still available or has the window of opportunity closed?

    ReplyDelete