Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pass the poi, mahalo.

Brewery: Maui Brewing Co.
Location: Lahina, Maui, HI
Name: Bikini Blonde Lager
Type: Helles Lager
ABV: 5.1%



Quick order of linguistics, "helles" is German for "light colored." Suitable choice though strange, I never thought the German population to be very high in Hawaii. Also, this is my first attempt at photographing the beer I drink so you folks can see the full container and the vessel that I'm drinking from. Criticisms are welcome. That being said, this beer is from Hawaii (but it was purchased at Whole Foods, near Richmond, VA)! Well aware that it is a lager I was expecting the frothy, clean white head. The beer, as you can see, is a nice shade of golden straw The bouquet is lager-esque. You didn't think I was going to leave it at that, did you? The bouquet is quite simple yet fragrant. Full malt ahead, captain! Once your past that you get a big helping of bread and yeast and a very small pinch of hops. I was hoping there would have been a little more a citrus note to it to help cut the sweet bread (not sweetbreads, gross) notes, but alas, there was not. I'm going to say that this was probably one of the cleaner tasting beers I've had in a while. And by that I mean it's right to the point, not too busy with its flavors and has a crisp and refreshing mouthfeel. The malts are straight up front but they seem to taste a bit more mellow than the nose would have you believe. The taste of bread and earth come through pretty vividly in the middle. Towards the back end you get a nice burst of light citrus hops and a faint honey sweetness. My only criticism is that you should not let this beer sit for too long. As it warms in the glass it definitely morphs into a more bitter version of itself. This beer, while not the watered down and mass produced American lager that demands to be consumed at near freezing temperatures, should be enjoyed rather chilled. It would be a great accompaniment for a late-spring or early-summer cookout. Oh man, I just thought of drinking this beer and eating a bratwurst on a roll with sauerkraut, spicy brown mustard, and beer sauteed green peppers...

Drinking this beer will get you leid.

2 comments:

  1. I like the action photography. Nice touch. Is it proper etiquette to drink any other beer from a Sam Adams glass? I do it all the time, I'm just asking if it's proper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's perfectly acceptable. Granted, there are certain types of glasses to be used with certain types of beer. But all beers generally fit in the Sam Adams glass.

    ReplyDelete