Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I was awash in a sea of black

And there it was...ready to devour some part of my soul.
Brewery: Brewdog Ltd.
Location: Fraserburgh, Scotland
Beer: bashah
Type: "The Black Belgian style Double IPA."
Dear. Lord. I felt like this beer required, nay, DEMANDED some sort of ceremonial procedure of sacrifice upon its opening. I half expected a plume of smoke to rise from the bottle. I wanted notes of sulfur, hellfire, AND brimstone. What I got was liquid awesome. First things first, this is not your run of the mill IPA. In fact, there's nothing pale about this beast. With a color as black as Death's cloak and a persistent thin, tan head that reminds you of grave rot, this beer lets you know that it ain't anyone's bitch. And I say that with the utmost respect for this Stone/Brewdog concoction. Olfactory receptors let me know that deep inside this brew lies a rich roasted flavor...malt has been given to this dark lord in vast quantities. Hops and caramel come through quite nicely as well. All of those flavors laced with a toasted oaky scent. It's easy to think that this beer will invade your mouth like used motor oil, however, this beer lives up the IPA name and comes off nice and crisp. Real sturdy carbonation and then...BANG! Hello hops! Oh, hey coffee, didn't taste you there. Wait? Roasted and toasted caramel treats too?! Oh man, my palate is confused. But...I love you. bashah spreads its demonic wings and soars over your taste buds making you want to drink more and more. Do so with caution as 8.6% ABV waits for no one. If you come across this and  you're feeling daring, don't punk out. Cry havoc and let slip this brew!

2 comments:

  1. Dude, I wish I could like this. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds more like a romance novel between a man and his beer. I wish I could find this kind of passion, perhaps....one day, I too shall find my one true beer.

    ReplyDelete