Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Sailor's Delight?

Brewery: Clipper City Brewing
Location: Baltimore, MD
Beer: Heavy Seas Red Sky at Night
Type: Saison Ale - French for "season," you'll find that most of these are refreshing summer ales.
Let me start by commending Clipper City Brewing for their Heavy Seas line. I'm a big fan of a number of their brews (expect to see reviews in the future) and I was very excited to try this for the first time. For the most part, Heavy Seas tend to be on the higher ABV side and Red Sky was no slouch with a 7.5% ABV...always excited to see a number above 5. The ale comes out a flawless golden honey color with little to no head. I'm not kidding, it barely foamed. It's hard not to notice the cascade of happy carbonation bubbles coursing through the glass. I was surprised with a big whiff of spice notes when I stuck my nose in my glass. Nutmeg and clove come through pretty strong. Past the lips is a different story. The spice gives way to a sweet, fruity first taste. Fruit subsides and the subtle spice and malt takes over, which makes for pleasant burps! This beer is indeed better for warmer weather. One may be taken aback by the slightly higher ABV but fear not, this beer is surprisingly refreshing. I did feel that it was lacking something. I wish I could be a little more descriptive than saying I felt it needed a little more body to it, but I can't quite put a finger on it. Red Sky at Night is pretty good overall but it is by far not the best Heavy Seas beer I've had.

And for what it's worth, pirates would make for better pizza delivery drivers than ninjas.

No comments:

Post a Comment