Saturday, May 22, 2010

I think I'm turning Japanese

I really think so...
Brewery: Kuichi Brewery
Location: Ibaraki, Japan
Beer: Hitachino Nest Commemorative Ale 2010
Type: Ale, more specifically a "festive ale brewed with vanilla beans and spices."
I drank this for my birthday. I figured what better an occasion to drink a commemorative ale than my own personal birthday? The cute owl on the label should have been a warning sign that indicated huge flavor is packed in this 12oz bottle. The pour looks like a hazy orange-yellow unfiltered beer. It would be easy to mistake this as Blue Moon if you were just looking at it and had no intention of tasting it. Let me tell you, this is no Blue Moon. The slow falling, creamy off-white head covers up a bounty of exciting flavors. The sharp, piquancy of yeast is ever present and accompanied with great success by whiffs of orange peel. One mouthful gets you a smorgasbord of sweet flavors. Vanilla right off the bat (no surprise as it's noted right there on the label) lends way to subtle cinnamon and orange. I almost thought I picked up some nutmeg in there as well. Surprisingly, this beer leaves a fairly bitter aftertaste, but it is not so bad that you'll have to worry about running around with bitter beer face for the rest of the night. I would have no problem drinking another one of these. It feels lighter on the tongue than it's 8.0% ABV would make you think it would, which is never a terrible thing. Grab one of these if you're feeling adventurous and are looking for something slightly outside of the norm... Until next time...Sayonara!

No comments:

Post a Comment