Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Southern Tier in the North?

A treat from my dad who went on business to New York!
Brewery: Southern Tier Brewing Co.
Location: Lakewood, NY
Name: ipa
Type: This one is escaping...can't quite categorize it...
Yay IPA!I like India Pale Ales. I mean, you could say I like most types of beer. I like beer. There, I said it. Happy now? In any case this was a pretty good beer. My only exposure to Southern Tier had been their Pumpking Ale (expect a ton of those in a special pumpkin beer throw-down edition of Little Boy Brew in the fall months) which I had enjoyed quite thoroughly so I was looking forward to this gem. Twelve ounces of fluid evening sunlight with bronze accents poured a massive, foamy, long lasting head in my pint glass. The nose is rich and grapefruit-y, pine notes of hops accompany the citrus salad. It's not as "in your face" with the hops as an Imperial IPA is, though. One would expect a harsh tongue out of this beer, but it wasn't bad at all! It's a milder IPA with a forgiving mouthfeel, nice and clean with no unhappy leftbehinds. You get the hops right up front and then a nice transition to the grapefruit and then back to the hops. You really get a taste of the hops in the aftertaste which leads to pine flavored burps! This beer is super flavorful and definitely someone should look into if they have yet to fully appreciate a good IPA. I did enjoy this one out of the bottle a little bit more, however. Yet it's just too pretty to not look at in a glass!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked it. I am told by a business associate that I will be able to get my hands on some more of this next month. Dare I say it is a clandestine "boot leg" operation? If I do score it, I will be sure to save you a sample or two.

    ReplyDelete